DM 143, s. 2016 - Reiteration of the No Collection Policy from the Parents-Teachers Association - DOWNLOAD MEMO
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) issues the Reiteration of the No Collection Policy from the Parents-Teachers Association. The DepEd Order (DO) No. 41, s. 2012 entitled Revised Guidelines on the Opening of Classes, is reiterated which underscores the urgent need to minimize, if not eliminate, financial constraints among parents/ guardians during the opening of classes. Thus, this Department provides guidelines on the collection of voluntary school contributions (vscs).
2. However, strict enforcement of this policy is not being observed with the persistent reports and questions from parents and learners. In 2015, DepEd DeTxt Action Center recorded 176 complaints about the collection of fees which was lower than in 2014 compared to the 330 reported complaints. High volume of complaints was received in March where fees for graduation were collected. Complaints also spiked up during August and September since collection of voluntary fees started in August. These reported cases were received by the DeTxt Action Center and did not include reports from the schools division and regional offices.
3. This Order explicitly restates the following policies:
a. no fees shall be collected from school children in Kindergarten up to Grade 4 anytime during the School Year (SY);
b. no collection of fees shall be made for Grade 5 to High School learners from June to July;
c. starting August until the end of the SY, the following membership fees and contributions may be collected on a voluntary basis:
5. The aforementioned DepEd issuances (DMS and DOS), together with the references cited for the voluntary school contributions, reiterate that payment of these fees are voluntary in nature.
6. Further, in DO 41, s. 2012, it is stressed that in no case shall nonpayment of voluntary school contributions or membership fees shall be made as a basis for admission, nonpromotion, or non-issuance of clearance to a student by the school concerned.
7. In this regard, the Department shall issue an Omnibus Policy on Enrolment to provide more specific guidelines on this matter.
8. For more information, all concerned may contact the Office of the Undersecretary for Governance and Operations, Department of Education Central Office (DepEd CO), DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos. (02) 633-7206/ (02) 631-8494 or through email address: email@example.com.
9. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.